Student Info

Following are the procedures and all important steps that a student will encounter from start to end in their process to study in Australia.

Before Arriving in Australia

  • Application and Letter of Offer

  • Payment and confirmation of enrollment

  • Student Visa and Application Grant

  • Pre-Departure Briefing

Application and Letter of Offer

Required Documents For Application

  • Certified copies of academic history to date (High School results, University results & Awards).
  • Certified copies of their English Language Proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL/ PTE ? Academic / CAE or other relevant evidence).
  • Certified copies of Identification(e.g. Passport).
  • For research study – a copy of their research proposal.

Response from institutions

  • Rejection letter: This means that the student does not meet the entry requirements for that program at that specific institution.
  • A Conditional Offer letter: This is a request for additional information. The offer may be conditional on the student providing certified copies of their documents or conditional on undertaking further English language training. The student needs to be contacted to supply the additional information required. Once the conditions are met the student will receive a Full Offer Letter.
  • Package Offer Letter: This is a full offer to a program with an additional condition offer into another program. The letter will explain that if a student successfully fulfils certain conditions (e.g. Foundation studies / ELICOS) upon arrival, they would be given direct entry into a degree program.

Payment & Condition of Enrolment (eCoE)

Required payments includes:

  • Tuition fees for program (usually the first semester).
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (single or family).

Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE):
This is issued by the institution once payment is confirmed. In most cases the institution would issue this and then forward it to the student, via the agent. In some cases, the institution may authorise the agent to create the eCoE on their behalf. This eCoE is then checked by the institution staff and if found correct, authorise them. The agent will then print out the eCoE once authorised. The student can then apply for a Student visa once they receive a valid eCoE. The student visa can be applied at their local Australian High Commission or Australian Embassy.

Student Visa Application & Grant

Once the student has an authorised eCoE, an application for a student visa needs to
be processed. This involves;

  • Filling out the application form.
  • Gathering support documentation such as:
    o Evidence of financial support.
    o English language proficiency.
    o Academic qualifications.
    o Other documentation as required.
  • Completion of health checks.

Pre-Departure Briefing

This should be organised before students leave their home country. This briefing
should cover all areas of a student’s stay in Australia and should provide a realistic
expectation of a student’s life in Australia. Students must be aware of;

  • Visa conditions.
  • Reception procedures.
  • A list of contacts for their arrival.
  • Facilities.
  • Cultural briefing.
  • Student support services.
  • Accommodation options.
  • Other relevant topics.

After Arriving in Australia

  • Reception in Australia
  • Admission and Orientation
  • Course Begins

Reception in Australia

Australian Institutions offer a range of reception services to make a student’s arrival in Australia as easy as possible. Services may include; Airport pickup, Accommodation, Other information.

Airport Pickup

An international representative can be arranged by the agent to pick up the student from the airport upon arrival. The student will then be taken to the pre-arranged accommodation (temporary / permanent). The airport pick-up fee is payable before arrival.

The institution must have a record of the student’s flight details so that the representative is given correct information about the student’s arrival (especially if there is a delayed or arrival ahead of schedule).


There are various types of accommodations which can be arranged by the student. The students must be informed about these information during the pre-departure briefing. The varieties of accommodations include;

  • Temporary accommodation: this can be provided to international students until they find something more permanent. This form of accommodation is ideal for students when they first arrive, so they can eventually decide where they would like to live for a longer period.
  • Homestay: a common option for high school or ELICOS students and involves staying with an Australian family in their house. Terms vary but most homestay accommodations includes breakfast and dinner.
  • On-campus accommodation: this is available at many institutions that have residences in the form of residential colleges or boarding houses. These are usually pre-booked before a student’s arrival in Australia.
  • Off-campus accommodation: this can be arranged after a student’s arrival in Australia and is usually arranged independently of the institution. Forms of off- campus accommodation include: rental house or units, students residences operated by private organisations and student units or houses operated by private organisations.

Other Information

International students upon arrival in Australian may also receive information about opening bank accounts, the local environment, and orientation dates.

Orientation And Admission

Each institution will organise a student orientation before the commencement of the academic semester. Orientation usually showcase the services and activities available to students during their study including academic planning advice, students
support services, clubs and societies, and health care. Universities can advise students to ‘enrol’ during the orientation period. Having an eCoE means that the student has become accepted into their study program. They must then select subjects and tutorials during this time to finalise their study program.

Course Begins

Once the semester commences there are two possible scenarios:

The student withdraws
This may occur due to several reasons, some of which are listed below;

  • They are unhappy at the institution or location they originally chose.
  • They are homesick.
  • A family crisis means occurs and the student must return home.
  • Their original course is inappropriate.
  • They find a faster or better program of study that meets their needs. Our agents recommend appropriate courses to students based on the information that we have received from our client. The recommendations are subject to the client’s needs and specifications. We acknowledge that it is unethical to place a student in a course known to be inappropriate or to collect a commission and we do not support or condone such actions.

Student decides to return home or enrol in another institution.

  • The student may need to apply for a refund. Students should be made aware of the refund policy of the institution they are attending. If a student withdraws after the advertised deadline the penalties could apply. Penalties usually include reduction in the refunded money and/or a withdrawal with penalty recorded on a student’s academic record. The institution will also inform DIPB that the student is no longer studying at that institution through PRISMS. If the student does not enrol in another course, the student visa will be cancelled.

    If the student wishes to enrol in another institution
    Should the student wish to enrol in another institution, the following must be considered:
  • They must have a letter of release from the original institution and an evidence of a full offer the new institution.
  • DIPB requires that a student will not be considered for a transfer for the first 6 months of their principal course unless there are clear grounds for this.
  • If the initial course was eligible for SVP and the proposal new course is not, the student’s visa may be cancelled if they are not from an AL 1 country.

    Student starts their studies

    During their course of study a student may contact the agent for advice concerning any of the following crisis:
  • Medical: an accident, or serious illness.
  • Financial: student is unable to pay for their studies.
  • Visa compliance: the student has involved the student.
  • Family: some family matters has involved the student.
  • Academic: the student has difficulties succeeding in their studies. In most cases an agent can help in following ways:
  • Advise the student of their options.
  • Liaise with family members in their home country if appropriate (consider students age and written authorisation).
  • Redirect family members to sources of support.

After Completing Course

In this stage, the student will have completed their chosen program and
management of the student involves:

When the student has completed all the requirements of an academic program they are eligible to graduate. An agent has no active role in a student’s graduation in Australia. However, if the institution conducts overseas graduation ceremonies they may request that you attend or be involved in the organisation ceremony.

After graduation, a student may come to the agent to investigate their future options.
The agent may be asked to give advice on:

  • Post-graduate study options.
  • Alumni functions.
  • Returning to Australia on a Work or Tourist Visa.
  • Permanent Residency in Australia.
    Note: If an agent operating within Australia and are not registered as a Migration Agent then they must refer the clients’ queries regarding such options to a Registered Migration Agent (RMA). This does not apply to agents located overseas.